Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Water Damage Stories

It's funny , I have been in the water damage restoration industry for over 20 years. Yet every time I answer a call from a customer who has a water damage it's amazing that the same issues and questions are still asked. Here are a sample of some of the questions I have been asked and the answers that I know will help you in a tight situation.

Here is a story that happened many years ago. I received a call a couple of years ago from a man that said he had a sewage damage in his basement. It seems that the sewage line backed up into his basement and he had about two inches of sewage. I told him about our service and he said that he was only looking for advise. I then explained what he should do to clean and "correctly" disenfect his basement. Part of the cleaning process is to wear puncture resistant boots and rubber gloves. I explained that sewage can contain all types of diseases and dangerous microbes that could harm his health.

He stopped me there to explain that wearing protective clothing would not be necessary due to the fact that the sewage in his basement was his family not any one elses. Shocked at that statement I explained to him that in sewage systems that back, normally involve the county sewer system. This as you can imagine has everybody's waste now in your basement. He was now sharing everybodies disesases, microbes, aids microbes, hepetitas,( the list goes on).

I then heard a silence and I asked if he was still on the phone. He started to speak very low and asked if they should go to the hospital to be checked out. I said it would be a good idea.